There is plenty to love about visits to the Northern Neck of Virginia, not least of which is the “tiny but tony” (New York Times) town of Irvington itself. There are so many great things to do in Irvington, VA, and this summer is shaping up to be an extraordinary time to do them all. This part of Virginia is simply stunning, nestled on the magnificent Chesapeake Bay and just a few hours outside the Washington DC Metro area, Baltimore, Raleigh, and Richmond areas.
Though the Northern Neck of VA – and more importantly, the town of Irvington itself – may not yet be on your radar as a great getaway town, we assure you it should be. The Northern Neck of Virginia is the northernmost of three peninsulas on the western edge of The Chesapeake Bay. It’s world-famous for the Virginia oysters farmed here, and the quaint, rural scenery is second to none. It truly is one of the best-kept secrets on the east coast – until now, of course!
With so many fabulous things to do in Irvington, VA this summer, you’ll need at least a few days to explore and experience it all. There’s no better place to stay on the Northern Neck than our Irvington VA Bed and Breakfast. We offer an upscale and luxurious getaway that is second to none, including access to our exquisite restaurant and our micro-vineyard and oyster bar. What more could you possibly need for a great summer getaway? Book your room at our Irvington, VA Bed and Breakfast today!
8 Things to do in Irvington, Virginia
We can’t express enough just how special the town of Irvington is. Yes, there are plenty of great things to do in Irvington, VA, and yes, it’s made even better when you stay with us at our Irvington, VA Bed and Breakfast. But honestly, there is so much more to this charming seaside town that we can possibly depict here. To truly get a feel for just how unique this lovely town on The Chesapeake Bay is, you’ll just have to come to see it for yourself.
Whether you want to do nothing but sip wine at one of the leading Virginia wineries, slurp oyster after oyster, or get out for an adventure on the water, there’s no shortage of wonderful things to do in Irvington, VA. As you start planning your summer vacations, here are a few of our favorite things to do in Irvington, VA to keep in mind.
- One of the best things to do in Irvington, VA this summer is to slurp a few (dozen) Virginia oysters. There’s no better place than our own Dog and Oyster Micro-Vineyard and Oyster Bar, located right here on-site at our Virginia Bed and Breakfast. As if the delicious oysters weren’t enough, The Dog and Oyster also just so happens to be one of the leading wineries in Virginia, where you’ll find no better pairing to go with your sensational oysters.
- We are the best Virginia winery in the area, of course, but there are a few others we’d recommend you visit while you’re here. Sipping and Swirling your way down the Chesapeake Bay Wine Trail is a pretty fantastic way to spend a warm summer afternoon!
- When you need a break from all of the yummy wine and oysters you’ll be savoring while here, take the short walk into downtown Irvington and enjoy a bit of shopping. The town is unbelievably charming, and this is easily one of our favorite things to do in Irvington, VA.
- You can’t leave the area without getting out on the water for a bit of boating. There are a few options before you, but our favorite is taking a cruise on the Rappahannock River and Carter’s Creek with us aboard the True Love. Our boat has a spectacular history, and we offer scheduled cruises every Saturday at 4 pm and 5:15 pm. With enough notice, we’re also happy to charter the boat for you on most other days, pending availability.
- Speaking of getting on the water, perhaps one of the most iconic things to do in Irvington, VA is to set sail on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay. We recommend you partner with Premier Sailing for an unforgettable adventure!
- Another one of the more popular things to do in Irvington, VA during the summer is to the Irvington Farmer’s Market. The market has been called one of the best in Virginia and does a great shop of showcasing the incredible bounty of our region. Beyond the farm-to-table sustenance that supplies many local restaurants with fresh and local produce, you’ll also find a wonderful collection of flowers, baked goods, and art.
- Summer is meant for beach days, and it’s one of the more popular things to do in Irvington, VA. If this sounds ideal for you, head to Hughlett’s Point Natural Area or Belle Isle State Park.
- Play a round of golf at the Golden Eagle Golf Club. It’s located at The Tides Inn, and the scenery here is even more spectacular than the actual golf (which is pretty great, too)!
The Best Irvington, VA Bed and Breakfast!
As you can see, there are plenty of things to do in Irvington, VA, and more than enough to keep you busy for several days. It’s a special place to visit no matter the time of year, especially when you stay at our upscale Irvington, VA Bed and Breakfast. Among other things, guests come here seeking adventure, relaxation, romance, delicious food, great wine, and more.
There’s no better place to enjoy the “good life” in coastal Virginia than our Irvington, Virginia Bed and Breakfast. Our Inn is within walking distance to many of the top attractions in downtown Irvington yet feels like a secluded escape you crave. Our Inn boasts a private Eden-like compound with twelve uniquely appointed and luxurious guest rooms and cottages from which to choose. Add a soothing saltwater pool, a one-of-a-kind garden bath, and plenty of luxury amenities, and it’s easy to get lost in the days here on the Chesapeake Bay.
We also host one of the best restaurants in Irvington, Virginia, The Colonnade, where you’ll find a gourmet, fine dining experience that can’t be matched. In front of our Inn is the newly reimagined Dog & Oyster Micro-Vineyard and Oyster Bar, allowing visitors an upscale and elegant setting to savor local and other selection libations with local oysters. It’s the ultimate food and wine pairing in Virginia!
As you can see, the possibilities are endless here in Coastal Virginia, and now is the perfect time to visit. See why our Bed and Breakfast is one of the best places to stay on the Northern Neck of VA. Book your room today!