5 of the Best Things to Do in Irvington, VA
Are you looking to make the most of your visit to the Northern Neck? Despite being a small town of about 415, there is a surprising number of fun things to do in Irvington, VA! Our charming community offers the ideal paradise for romantic getaways, exciting adventures, and even corporate retreats! Consider us your personal concierge service as we introduce you to the best activities in our area. We featured some of our favorites below, but we simply couldn’t fit all of them on one page. Explore our blog to see all the possibilities and even some local tips to make your time here special!
Discover Our Favorite Things to Do in Irvington, VA!
1. Unimagined Culinary Treats
We may be a tiny town, but you wouldn’t be able to tell from the number of local restaurants in Irvington, VA. Eight within walking distance! There are several excellent options here, whether you’re looking for an intimate space for dinner or prefer a quick snack on your way through town. All of these fantastic eateries are within walking distance of the Hope and Glory Inn! Just make sure to try our famous, fresh Rappahannock River Oysters while you’re here. After tasting them once, you’ll be coming back for more!
- Hope and Glory Inn: Indulge in medal-winning wines and tasty oyster specials at our vineyard or enjoy an intimate fine dining experience in The Dining Hall followed by a drink at our bar. Reviewers rank us the best!
- The Local: This popular coffee shop, owned by our good friends, is perfect for breakfast, lunch, or an afternoon pick-me-up while you’re exploring the town.
- The Tides Inn: Here, you can find multiple venues for breakfast, lunch, and dinner with tide-to-table cuisine. A table overlooking the water is a must.
- Vine: Check out the exquisite selection at this brand new wine bar across the street from our inn!
- The Office Cafe: This bistro recently opened up in Irvington and serves up some delicious foods from fresh ingredients.
- Dredge – a bar-restaurant with a wide variety of options.
Keep in mind that for The Colonnade at the Hope and Glory Inn, reservations are required in advance.
2. Uptown Shopping at its Best
Whether you’re searching for holiday gifts, the latest in fashion, or charming souvenirs, you’ll find everything you need while shopping in Irvington, VA! You can even check out the Irvington Farmers Market on the first Saturday of each month for crafts, food, live music, and more!
- Windswept Experience and Supply Co.: Stylish branded outdoor wear and paddleboard and bike rental
- Sewlovelee: a quilting shop extraordinaire
- The Dandelion: Stop by for friendly service and an excellent selection of women’s fashion.
- Jimmy and Sook: This store focuses on lifestyle apparel with polos, hats, accessories, and more.
- Village Needlepoint of Irvington: Step inside this small shop to find supplies and inspiration for needlepoint projects.
- Objects, Art, and More: View paintings, sculptures, and jewelry from world-class artists.
- Sweet Tea Boutique: Check out this local spot for a variety of children’s apparel.
- Fore-and-Aft: This boutique features a collection of men’s and women’s clothing as well as home decor.
- Pillar & Peacock: The employees here are experts in interior design and are happy to help you with anything you need.
3. Absorb the fascinating history we have
When you visit the Northern Neck, you will find yourself in a whole world of history and fascination! For instance, did you know our beautiful region is the birthplace to three United States presidents, including George Washington? There are several incredible historical sites and museums in the Irvington area. Here are some of our favorites:
- Steamboat Era Museum: Learn how these ships changed the whole way of life on the Chesapeake Bay.
- Historic Christ Church: Come and explore this National Historic Landmark built in 1735!
- Kilmarnock Museum: Discover the big history behind this small town in the Northern Neck.
- Reedville Fishermen’s Museum: Check out unique boats, photographs, and artifacts detailing Reedville’s rich nautical history.
- Mary Ball Washington Museum: Named after George Washington’s mother, this museum is home to a wealth of historical information on the Northern Neck.
4. The water beckons you
Irvington, VA, has numerous opportunities for more active lifestyles as well! These outdoor activities, paired with the beautiful Northern Neck scenery, are delightful ways to spend your afternoons. When you stay at the Hope and Glory Inn, you’re even welcome to borrow our complimentary bicycles and take a journey through town. They’re perfect for romantic adventures as you take in the sights and sounds of Irvington together!
- Boat cruises: Step aboard our boat, True Love, for seasonal cruises. Weather permitting, you can enjoy charcuterie and fruit wines as we take you through the scenic coves of Carter’s Creek!
- Fishing: The Rappahannock River offers numerous opportunities for fishing nearby. We’re happy to recommend a charter service in the area! Rock fishing is at its best.
- Golfing: Hit the links at the beautiful Golden Eagle Golf Club at The Tides Inn in Irvington, VA.
- Hughlett Point Natural Area Preserve: You can reach this beach via a 20-minute drive from our inn, and the scenery is well worth the trip!
- Belle Isle State Park: If you drive a little further, Belle Isle State Park offers plenty of opportunities for hiking, biking, and kayaking.
- Sailing: It wouldn’t be the Chesapeake Bay without sailing, and there are plenty of opportunities to enjoy it here! Premier Sailing is an excellent option near our inn!
5. Unwind and wine down at the Hope and Glory Inn!
When it comes to relaxation, nothing matches the paradise you’ll find at the Hope and Glory Inn. We’re nestled in the heart of Irvington, VA, providing elegant accommodations within walking distance of several local attractions. After your adventures, lounge by our salt-water pool or take a stroll through our pristine landscape and gardens.
Let our culinary treat – our micro-vineyard and oyster bar – soothe your senses with great wine and oysters.
When it’s time to rest up for another day of adventures, you’ll have no trouble relaxing in any of our rooms or cottages. Get the restful night’s sleep you’ve been dreaming of when you lie down in this plush, queen-size bed and wrap yourself in luxury linens. In the morning, wake up to a gourmet breakfast to start your day in the Northern Neck!
Take the next step toward enjoying all of these fantastic things to do in Irvington, VA! Reserve your room today!