Things to Do in Irvington, VA
Planning Your Chesapeake Bay Vacation
Looking for things to do in Irvington, VA during your stay? Irvington is a small town with big fun all year-round located on Virginia’s Chesapeake Bay. Our waterfront town provides a relaxing retreat for couples and groups of friends looking to getaway to the Virginia countryside. Enjoy water sports and cruising on our True Love boat on Carter’s Creek and the Chesapeake Bay. Make your way through the Chesapeake Bay wine trail and start at our very own Dog & Oyster Vineyard. Learn more about Irvington’s history at the Steamboat Era Museum. The Hope and Glory Inn is conveniently located by a variety of historic sites and museums.
Let us serve as your personal concierge and introduce you to the wonderful things to do in Irvington, VA. If you need further help planning your journey, download our free vacation guide for insider information on the best attractions in Virginia’s Northern Neck.
- Airplane Rides – 8 minutes by car
- Art Galleries – Objects is a 1 block walk, along with many others nearby
- Beaches – Our favorite, Hughlett Point, is a 20-minute drive and worth it
- Bicycling – Complimentary bikes on site and there is a 5-mile bike trail to and from Kilmarnock
- Cruises – Our boat, True Love, offers cruises with the owners
- Fishing – We can recommend charters
- Fitness Center – YMCA, just 6 minutes away and accommodates our guests
- Golf – Two destination courses – The Golden Eagle and King Carter Golf Club
- Hiking – Around town and a short drive to natural areas
- Historic Sites and Tours – Historic Christ Church is only 3 minutes away
- Museums – Mary Ball Washington, Reedville Fishermen’s, Steamboat Era
- Music – (See Calendar)
- Sailing Charters
- Sailing School
- Spa treatments – on-premise
- State Parks – Belle Isle and Hughlett Point
- Stock Car Racing
- Swimming in our pool
- Theater – See Calendar
- Three Vineyard/Wineries within 17 minutes
Irvington Historic Sites and Museums
Historic Christ Church – 2 Miles
A National Historic Landmark and is one of the most important examples of Georgian architecture in the US. (804) 438-6855 www.christchurch1735.org
Steamboat Era Museum – 1 Block – Across Irvington Commons
Celebrating the steamboats, landings and commerce along the rivers of the Bay and is in view of Hope and Glory Inn. Summer hours: 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. on Thurs-Sat; 1 p.m. – 4 p.m. on Sun. 156 King Carter Drive, (804) 438-6888, www.steamboateramuseum.org.
The Dandelion – Next Door
An old parsonage transformed into a treasure trove of distinctive ladies’ clothing, shoes, jewelry, gifts and decorative accessories. 4372 Irvington Road P.O. Box 355 • (804)438-5194 • Fax (804)438-5802 • www.thedandelion.com
Jimmy & Sook – 1 Block
Find a selection of crab logo apparel for men, women, and children here. 804-438-6010
Village Needlepoint of Irvington – 1 Block
Here they offer the finest in needlepoint design, fibers and finishing, hand-painted canvases, silk, wool and metallic threads accessories and furniture. Classes are available here for all skill levels. 4395 Irvington Road • PO Box 186 (804)438-9500 • www.irvingtonneedlepoint.com
Objects – 1 Block
Gaze at beautiful paintings, sculptures, glass, pottery, jewelry and home decor.
Hope and Glory Inn
Breakfast (Schoolhouse) – Every day – Reservations required for non-registered guests – 8:30 a.m. – 9:30 a.m.
Lunch (Vineyard) – 11 a.m. – 5 p.m. Fri-Sun- The Dog and Oyster Vineyard
Dinner (Schoolhouse) – 6 p.m. – 8 p.m. Thurs – Mon – Reservations required for guests and non-registered guests.
The local – 1 Block – Breakfast and Lunch
The local, featuring coffee, espresso, bagels and an assortment of wraps, paninis and other delectable food, is a great place to start your day with a cup of coffee or the perfect spot for your midday meal. • 4337 Irvington Road • (804)438-9356
The Tides Inn – .4 Miles – Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner – Multiple Venues
Conveniently located near the Chesapeake Bay Wine Trail and the Virginia Oyster Trail, the Tides Inn offers Tides-to-Table dining.
Trick Dog Cafe – 1 Block – Dinner
Extraordinary American fine dining with great cocktails!